Civil War General

Civil War CDV Confederate General Wade Hampton

Civil War CDV Confederate General Wade Hampton
Civil War CDV Confederate General Wade Hampton

Civil War CDV Confederate General Wade Hampton   Civil War CDV Confederate General Wade Hampton
Wade Hampton III (March 28, 1818 April 11, 1902) was a Confederate States of America military officer during the American Civil War and politician from South Carolina. He came from a wealthy planter family, and shortly before the war he was one of the largest slaveholders in the Southeast as well as a state legislator. During the American Civil War, he served in the Confederate cavalry, where he reached the rank of lieutenant general.

At the end of Reconstruction, with the withdrawal of federal troops from the state, Hampton was leader of the Redeemers who restored white rule. His campaign for governor was marked by extensive violence by the Red Shirts, a paramilitary group that served the Democratic Party by disrupting elections and suppressing black and Republican voting in the state. He was elected Governor, serving 1876 to 1879. After that, he served two terms as U. Senator, from 1879 to 1891.

William Rhett House, 54 Hasell St. Charleston, South Carolina, the birthplace of Wade Hampton III. Wade Hampton III was born in 1818 at 54 Hasell St.

In Charleston, South Carolina, the eldest son of "Colonel" Wade Hampton II (17911858) and Ann (née Fitzsimmons) Hampton. His mother was from a wealthy family in Charleston.

[1] After the War of 1812, his father had built his own fortune on land speculation in the Southeast. The senior Hampton was an officer of dragoons in the War of 1812, and an aide to General Andrew Jackson at the Battle of New Orleans. The boy was the grandson of Wade Hampton (17541835), lieutenant colonel of cavalry in the American War of Independence, member of the U.

House of Representatives, and brigadier general in the War of 1812. Wade III's uncle by marriage, James Henry Hammond, was elected to the U. House of Representatives, Governor of South Carolina and, in the late 1850s, elected to the United States Senate. Wade Hampton III grew up in a wealthy planter family, receiving private instruction. He had four younger sisters.

His was an active outdoor life; he rode horses and hunted, especially at his family's North Carolina summer retreat, High Hampton. [2] The youth was known for taking hunting trips alone into the woods, hunting American black bears with only a knife.

Some accounts credit him with killing as many as 80 bears. In 1836 Hampton graduated from South Carolina College (now the University of South Carolina), and was trained for the law, although he never practiced. His father assigned certain plantations to him to manage in South Carolina and Mississippi. [1] The younger man also became active in Democratic state politics.

He was elected to the South Carolina General Assembly in 1852 and served as a state Senator from 1858 to 1861. After Hampton's father died in 1858, the son inherited his vast fortune, his plantations, and his slaves.

Although Hampton was conservative on issues of secession and slavery, and he had opposed the division of the Union as a legislator, when war began, he was loyal to his state. [4] He resigned from the South Carolina Senate and enlisted at the age of 42 as a private in the South Carolina Militia. The governor of South Carolina insisted that Hampton accept a colonel's commission. Wade Hampton and other leading South Carolinians inspecting the interiors of Fort Sumter, April 10, 1861. Although he had no military experience, his years of managing plantations and serving in state government were considered signs of leadership.

As was also the case in northern regiments, the elite were commissioned based on their social standing and were also expected to finance military units. Hampton organized and partially financed the unit known as "Hampton's Legion, " which consisted of six companies of infantry, four companies of cavalry, and one battery of artillery. He personally paid for all the weapons for the Legion. Hampton was a natural cavalrymanbrave, audacious, and already a superb horseman.

Of officers without previous military experience, he was one of three to achieve the rank of lieutenant general, the others being Nathan Bedford Forrest and Richard Taylor. Hampton's first combat came at the First Battle of Manassas, where he deployed his Legion at a decisive moment, reinforcing a Confederate line that was retreating from Buck Hill, giving the brigade of Thomas J. Jackson time to reach the field and make a defensive stand. A bullet creased Hampton's forehead when he led a charge against a Union artillery position. It was the first of five wounds he would receive during the war. During the winter of 186162, Hampton's Legion was assigned to the command of Gustavus W.

Smith's division accompanied the rest of Joseph E. Johnston's Army of Northern Virginia down the Virginia Peninsula to aid in the Siege of Yorktown (1862) before Johnston withdrew to Richmond. On May 23, 1862, Hampton was promoted to brigadier general. At the Battle of Seven Pines on May 31, 1862, he was severely wounded in the foot, but while still under fire, remained on his horse while the foot was treated.

After the Peninsula Campaign, General Robert E. Lee reorganized his cavalry forces as a division under the command of J. Stuart, who selected Hampton as his senior subordinate, to command one of two cavalry brigades. Hampton's brigade was left in Richmond to keep eyes on McClellan's withdrawal from the Peninsula, while the rest of the army participated in the Northern Virginia Campaign. Thus, Hampton and his men missed the Second Battle of Manassas, re-joining the army shortly thereafter; but were present on the extreme left of the Confederate line at Sharpsburg. His brigade was selected to participate in Stuart's Chambersburg Raid in October 1862, in which Hampton was briefly appointed "military governor" of the town following its surrender to the Confederate cavalry. [6] During the winter of 1862, Hampton led a series of cavalry raids behind enemy lines and captured numerous prisoners and supplies without suffering any casualties, earning a commendation from General Lee. In November 1862, he captured 137 men of the 3rd Pennsylvania Cavalry at Hartwood Presbyterian Church.

Hampton was not present at Fredericksburg, or Chancellorsville due to being detached for raids elsewhere. At the Battle of Brandy Station, the war's largest predominantly cavalry battle, Hampton was slightly wounded and his younger brother Frank, was killed. Immediately thereafter, Hampton's brigade participated in Stuart's raid in Pennsylvania, swinging around the Union army and losing contact with Lee. Stuart and Hampton reached the vicinity of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, late on July 2, 1863. While just outside town, Hampton was confronted by a Union cavalryman pointing a rifle at him from 200 yards.

Hampton charged the trooper before he could fire his rifle, but another trooper blindsided Hampton with a saber cut to the back of his head. On July 3, Hampton led the cavalry attack to the east of Gettysburg, attempting to disrupt the Union rear areas, but colliding with Union cavalry. He received two more saber cuts to the front of his head, but continued fighting until he was wounded again with a piece of shrapnel to the hip. He was carried back to Virginia in the same ambulance as General John Bell Hood.

On August 3, 1863, Hampton was promoted to major general and received command of a cavalry division. As his wounds from Gettysburg were slow to heal, he could not return to duty until November. During the Overland Campaign of 1864, Hampton's cavalry fought at Todd's Tavern during The Wilderness, and patrolled the left flank of the Confederate position at Spotsylvania Court House, during which time J. Stuart was killed at the Yellow Tavern. Hampton escorted Lee's withdrawal to Richmond, fighting at North Anna and Haw's Shop before being detached from Lee's army to deal with Maj.

Philip Sheridan's cavalry destroying railroad in central Virginia. He distinguished himself further with a successful strategic victory at the bloody Battle of Trevilian Station, the war's largest all cavalry battle.

After his return to Richmond, he fought at Nance's Shop, and was given command of the Cavalry Corps on August 11, 1864. For the rest of the war, Hampton lost no cavalry battles. In September, Hampton conducted what became known as the "Beefsteak Raid", where his troopers captured over 2400 head of cattle and more than 300 prisoners behind enemy lines. In October 1864, near Petersburg, Virginia, Hampton sent his son, T. Preston Hampton, a lieutenant serving as one of his aides, to deliver a message.

Shortly afterward, Hampton and his other son, Wade IV, rode in the same direction. Before traveling 200 yards, they came across Preston lying on the ground; he was fatally wounded and soon died. As young Wade dismounted, he was also shot but survived. He was promoted to lieutenant general on February 14, 1865, but eventually surrendered to the Union along with General Joseph E. Johnston's Army of Tennessee at Bennett Place in Durham, North Carolina.

Hampton was reluctant to surrender, and nearly got into a personal fight with Union Brig. Judson Kilpatrick (often called "Kill-Cavalry") at the Bennett Farm. Early, Hampton became a proponent of the Lost Cause movement. He worked to explain the Confederacy's loss of the war and deeply regretted the loss of the secure life he had before the war. He believed the official "line" that slavery as practiced in the American South was benign and that Blacks were "racially" inferior to whites.

He strongly resented the use of black troops as part of the Federal government's occupying force in South Carolina. Hampton was offered the nomination for governor in 1865, but refused because he believed Northerners would be suspicious of a former Confederate general seeking political office only months after the end of the Civil War. Hampton campaigned to ask supporters not to vote for him in the gubernatorial election. In 1868, he became the chairman of the state Democratic Party central committee. That year, the Radical Republicans took the election. He essentially ceased most overt political activity until 1876. He was not known to have active involvement within the organization. [9] Hampton supported Matthew Calbraith Butler in the Union Reform campaign of 1870.

Other insurgent groups rapidly formed to replace the KKK. In South Carolina and other states, groups of men calling themselves "rifle clubs" formed to act as vigilantes in the years after the war.

In 1876, an estimated 20,000 men in South Carolina were members of rifle clubs in the state. [10] Political campaigns were increasingly violent as whites tried to suppress black voting. Beginning in the mid-1870s, the Democratic paramilitary group known as the Red Shirts developed chapters in most South Carolina counties (they had originated in Mississippi), and were similar to rifle clubs. [citation needed] These groups acted as the military arm of the Democratic Party. [11] They marched in parades during campaigns, openly disrupted Republican meetings, and worked to suppress black voting in the state by violence and intimidation.

Hampton opposed the Radical Republicans' Reconstruction policies in the South, primarily African Americans being allowed to vote and participate in politics. He re-entered South Carolina politics in 1876, running in opposition to those policies. Hampton, a Democrat, ran against Republican incumbent governor Daniel Henry Chamberlain. The 1876 South Carolina gubernatorial election is thought to be the bloodiest in the history of the state.

The Red Shirts had used violence in every county to suppress black Republican voting. An anti-Reconstruction historian later estimated that 150 Negroes were murdered in South Carolina during the campaign. [13] Though it seems clear that supporters of Hampton included Red Shirts, prominent Hampton biographer Rod Andrew states there is no evidence that Hampton himself supported or encouraged that violence.

[14] Indeed, Benjamin Tillman, undisputed leader of the Red Shirts, would be instrumental in removing Hampton from his Senate seat in 1890. For more than six months, there were two legislatures in the state, both claiming to be authentic.

Eventually, the South Carolina Supreme Court ruled that Hampton was the winner of the election, the first Democratic governor in South Carolina since the end of the Civil War. The national election of Rutherford B. Hayes as President was settled by a compromise among Democrats, by which the national party agreed to end formally the Reconstruction era. In 1877 Hayes ordered the withdrawal of federal troops from the South, essentially leaving freedmen to deal with whites on their own.

Main article: Disputed government of South Carolina of 1876-77. After the election, Hampton became known as the "Savior of South Carolina"; he was one of those Democrats elected who were called Redeemers. He was re-elected in 1878; the Red Shirts gave support but less violence was required. [12] Two days later, he was thrown from a mule while deer hunting and broke his right leg. Several weeks later, his right leg was amputated due to complications arising from this injury.

Despite refusing to announce his candidacy for the Senate, Hampton was elected to the United States Senate by the General Assembly on the same day his leg was amputated. He resigned from the governorship to serve two terms in the Senate, until 1891. He was a Bourbon Democrat who appealed to some freedmen in support of his win.

Irby won the seat in the state elections of 1890. From 1893 to 1897, Hampton served as United States Railroad Commissioner, appointed by President Grover Cleveland. He was a hereditary member of the South Carolina Society of the Cincinnati.

In 1890, Hampton's niece Caroline, an operating room nurse, married William Halsted, later known as the "father of American surgery" for his contributions. He had developed the surgical glove to try to protect Caroline's skin from the harsh surgical sterilization chemicals. Wade Hampton died in Columbia in 1902.

He is buried there in Trinity Cathedral Churchyard. Statue of Wade Hampton at South Carolina State House. Statues of him were erected in the South Carolina State House building and in the United States Capitol.

An equestrian statue by Frederick W. Ruckstull was erected on the grounds of the S. State capitol in Columbia, in 1906. In the wake of the June 17, 2015, massacre at the Charleston Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church by white supremacist Dylann Roof, there was a push to remove Confederate symbols in the United States Capitol, including the Hampton statue.

[18] Congressional representatives voted to retain the statues. To honor Hampton for his leadership in the Civil War and the "redemption" of the state from Reconstruction-era reforms, the General Assembly created Hampton County from Beaufort County in 1878. The town of Hampton Courthouse, later shortened to Hampton, was incorporated on December 23, 1879, to serve as the county seat of Hampton County. Across South Carolina, many towns and cities renamed streets for him.

At least eight municipalities in South Carolina have a street named "Wade Hampton" (Beaufort, Charleston, Duncan, Greenville, Greer, Hampton, Taylors, and Walterboro) and approximately 47 towns in the state have streets named "Hampton". Two high schools in South Carolina are named Wade Hampton High School: in Greenville and in Varnville. A residence hall at Hampton's alma mater, the University of South Carolina, was named for him. A Hampton Park was dedicated in Charleston and another in Columbia in his honor. The historic Hampton Heights neighborhood in Spartanburg is named after him.

In 1964, Wade Hampton Academy was started in Orangeburg, considered a segregation academy. The school merged with Willington Academy in 1986 to become Orangeburg Preparatory Schools, Inc. An artillery battery was named after Wade Hampton at Fort Crockett, built on Galveston Island, Texas. The Wade Hampton Battery was one of four coastal artillery batteries and contained two 10-inch guns.

In Greenville County, South Carolina, the section of U. Route 29 that connects the city of Greenville to Spartanburg is called Wade Hampton Boulevard. There is also a fire district (Wade Hampton Fire Department) named in his honor placed on the east side of Greenville, adjoining the Greenville city limits, which include Wade Hampton High School. The Sons of Confederate Veterans awarded Hampton with its Confederate Medal of Honor, created in 1977. The item "Civil War CDV Confederate General Wade Hampton" is in sale since Friday, October 1, 2021.

This item is in the category "Collectibles\Militaria\Civil War (1861-65)\Original Period Items\Photographs". The seller is "civil_war_photos" and is located in Midland, Michigan. This item can be shipped worldwide.

  • Modified Item: No
  • Country/Region of Manufacture: United States
  • Theme: Militaria
  • Original/Reproduction: Original
  • Conflict: Civil War (1861-65)

Civil War CDV Confederate General Wade Hampton   Civil War CDV Confederate General Wade Hampton